Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Real Women Eat's "Cook-N-Critique"

Hey! Sweet Jeanette here...

As a refresher to the concept of our Real Women Eat "Cook -n - Critique" events, someone suggests a cookbook and we browse through it while meeting and all vote on which cook book we are going to try for the next month. I haven't seen Julie and Julia...yet, but I've heard that's kinda what she did. Only, there are too many AADD ladies in our group to actually see a cookbook all the way through, so we pick a cookbook for the month. We draw "names"...just like Christmas, only we're drawing side dish, appetizer, dessert, entree... you get the picture.

The person who draws entree, is the person who hosts that particular event. Last month, I hosted...remember the dreaded crockpot cookbook? I even had favors for my "guests"...antiseptic soaps! LOL No, really!

This month, the "hostess" was D-Licious! You can tell, she has a hostess' heart. She even lit candles for us. (I didn't do that when I was hostess) When asked where our favors were (not by me, of course. My mama raised me right.) She had the best favors of all.... she said we didn't have to help clean up! WooHoo. My kind of favor!

As Cupcake mentioned my Mystery Pecan Pie was delicious, but it developed a sinking appearance. To which, I renamed it "sink hole pie". Now, to get the full humor in that, I think you should probably live around us. See, in Florida, the winter has been unseasonably, um... cold! It's a farming community mostly and the farmers have had to do a lot of watering (strawberries are the crops in season in the winter down here. That, and our citrus groves). Now, all this watering has affected our water table. That has, in turn, caused what we not-so-affectionately call "sinkholes".


maybe this will give you a better view of the "sinkhole"

The really weird thing, or at least what "I" thought was weird, was that you use BOTH of the Pillsbury Pie Crusts on the bottom of the pie. Do you think that's weird? When we cut into the pie, though, the bottom wasn't that thick at all, but as you can see, the not-so-great-looking fluted edges were. I admit, I need practice on making pretty fluted edges! LOL

But we did have a great time. Just us girls! I am fortunate to have these "girls" - my bestest and closest dear friends who just happen to be a sister, aunt, and cousin and cousin-in-law with me on this blog. What could be better?

Oh, and these were books we had to decide from for next month...


Can ya guess which we picked? No? I guess you'll just have to check back here then!


Be Sweet!







21 comments:

  1. what a wonderful blog idea! i wish you the best of luck and can't wait to hear about all your fabulous cooking experiences! :)

    ~Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette, you are amazing!! And this sounds like wonderful fun!!! I'll definitely be checking back to hear all about what you gals are eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I want to start a club, too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what special memories you are making! i love pecan pie or sinkhole pie :)
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very fun idea! And of course I knew what you meant about a sinkhole pie ;-)

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like so much fun!! And, I agree, not having to clean up is the best party favor ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents live in Florida and have also been experiencing this crazy cold weather. The pie looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pie looks so good even with the "sinkhole"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hel-lo!! That pie sure got my attention! I LOVE pecan pie--it's my favorite! Me and my mom have an annual Pie Fest. She is the QUEEN of fluting pie edges. I'm not kidding--a freaking master. So I had to show her up (just a little) with my own pie edge (an alternative to beautiful fluting).

    http://www.sist3rs.net/2009/11/pie-fest-2009.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! I hope you and your friends have a delicious time and I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with that pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this idea...it sounds like a lot a fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat idea! Wish I had some gals to start something like that with. BTW~ where in Florida are you? I'm in Central Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea! Sounds like a lovely twist on a supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful idea. How much fun is that? Love it!

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmm! That pie looks delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That table is beautiful and the pie looks wonderful! This blog is a great idea.
    Again, Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting from SITS. What a great idea. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this idea. I have a group of girlfriends that get's together once a month for Girl's Night and we usually just do a theme dinner, where we each cook something and just eat and gab all night long! I am going to have to mention this to them and see what they think about trying it out!

    From Sunny (er, not lately) Florida also and just stopping by from SITS! Happy FB day to you :)

    Btw...my guess is the southern food cookbook! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by from SITS! I don't care if there is a sinkhole or not--that pie looks delish!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Sink Hole Pie looked great, which is my favorite, pratice makes perfect, hint, hint.
    Sounds like you all have a gret deal of fun at the cookbook get together. Good now you are on the right track, SOUTHERN LIVING Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete